Monday, March 30, 2009

Back in the Saddle Again

Aloha: Well, here I am in Hilo today. I have to go to the drug store to get my "pills", so I will keep Topher and CJ company. I came down with my wife and will not be able to go home till she finishes work this evening. It was misty all the way down this morning, but now it is sunny and getting rather warm. I know, I know; It is cold in Volcano, hot in Hilo, I am just never satisfied!!! That is one of the advantages of being an "old man". (It is a lot of fun watching Topher play with CJ!)

Going back to feeling hot or cold reminds me of an incident that happened to me while in the Navy. In the late 60s I was stationed in Vietnam and worked in the warehouse for the mess hall. We were called into the Chief's office for a meeting and those of us who worked in the warehouse started to complain that the office was so cold. The Chief checked the thermometer and it was 85 degrees in the office. We were comfortable in the warehouse, where it was 125 degrees, because we had gotten used to it. All pau war stories (for now).

As I said, it was (is) wet in volcano this morning. We thought it was going to be real cold this morning because it started to clear up last night. A cloudy day followed by a clear night makes for a very cold morning. However, it started to drizzle about 10p so it only got down to 49 this morning. The volcano report for Kilauea is, again, SOS. The report for Mauna Loa is stable. This year is the 25th anniversary of the last eruption on Mauna Loa. There are "talk story" sessions planned for around the island to answer questions anyone may have about our "Great Mountain".

Talking about the eruption of Mauna Loa reminds me of the "akua lele" we saw. We were going home late one night when both Kilauea and Mauna Loa were erupting. It must have been about 11p when we pasted Hirano store and at the top of the hill ahead there was a flash of light and a fireball. My science mind says it was a meteor, but my "local" mind says it was Pele going from one site to the other.

Wow, this is getting long. God bless and be good to each other. May God bless America.

2 comments:

kaiulani said...

I like the local theory better. Its a lot more inspirational.

hokusushi said...

I agree, local is better. Its a lot more interesting to listen to.