Sunday, February 1, 2009

Aloha kakahiaka i'a kakou. It is a glorious morning here in Volcano this morning!! Cool and crisp. Forty two when we got up. It is 10a and is now 50. Volcano update from HVO webpage, in red, follows.

Past 24 hours at Kilauea summit: Northeasterly winds kept the plume moving toward the southwest resulting in good air quality in the surrounding communities yesterday. Overnight, faint glow from a source beneath the north vent rim was recorded by a webcam near the Halema`uma`u Overlook. This morning, a white plume is ascending vertically in weak winds resulting in some poor air quality. Sulfur dioxide emission rates remain elevated and variable. The most recent average measurement was 1,100 tonnes/day on January 30 compared to the 2003-2007 average rate of 140 tonnes/day. Seismic tremor levels remain elevated. Two earthquakes were strong enough to be located beneath the south summit caldera and 2 were on south flank faults. The number of RB2S2BL earthquakes remain within background values.

I did not get to post anything yesterday as, for reasons unknown, this machine refused to hook up to the Internet. When I first logged on it was fine but while I was checking the Volcano websites it quit. My resident IT person informed me she has not seen a computer with so many issues as this one. Every time I turn it on it goes to a "found new hardware wizard" and I have not installed any new hardware. I hope that my luck holds as she will be going to Kaho'olawe tomorrow to cut down Keawe trees. Keawe is not a native tree so it will have to go!!!

The man at KAR is sick so my wife's "tank" is not ready so I did not get to ride the bus Friday. Saturday we went to Ocean View. My wife taught a class to Red Cross volunteers on the use of an AED with CPR. It was a beautiful day all around.

I do like to get comments on this blog. Someone asked about Anakam. She is CJ mother. I do not know who "Mr B" is but I believe he is a friend from California.

I will be in Hilo sitting with CJ this week so will be writing this blog from there. Hope all is well with all of you and may God bless each and every one of you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You did not mention the 2 earthquakes the other night.
I went to report it on the NP did you feel it and they changed the procedure made it harder to report.