Monday, February 23, 2009

Aloha: I am down in Hilo this morning. Topher is working this week so I will be sitting my "mo'opuna". Anakam has been given a project to work on at home so CJ does not want to be with "papa" but rather pester his mom.

The sky was clear up at Volcano this morning, so the temperature was down. Would you believe 41 degrees? Well, believe it! The coldest it has ever been has been 28. That was the first year I lived up there before I was even married. It got down to 28 three days in a row.

There is some sad news to report. Burida's last grandparent died Saturday evening at 7. He was Burida's father's father. In jargon, his paternal grandfather. Anakam just told me that her best friend's mother has bone cancer and has been "given" only a few months to live. Auwe, she is about my wife's age, and I am 12 years older than my wife. I hope that is the end of the sad news!!!!

Volcano update: SOS.

Yesterday we went to South Point, Ka Lae. Because of the above mentioned news Burida and Ka'iu did not come. With my wife, Anakam, Topher, CJ, and myself were my wife's two brothers, Chief and Small Fry. She calls her youngest brother "Small Fry" because he is the youngest even though he is rather large. He has a job going all around the Pacific Basin looking for unexploded ordnance left over from WW2. He started doing this kind of work on Kaho'olawe and has been to Adak, Alaska and Japan, US west coast, Philippines, and here in Hawaii. Next week he goes to Guam then back to the Philippines. He is a diver so he will be diving for two weeks on Guam then two weeks on land. As a side note while he was diving off Kaho'olawe he had a friend, a monk seal, that would keep him company. Somewhere I have a picture on his "friend" that he took while diving.

While at Ka Lae we saw a few whales breaching off shore. The fisherpeople did not have much luck. Small Fry went looking for limu kohu, but no luck. No large opihi either. The State has been considering a ban on opihi picking, but so far all talk and no action. CJ just loves the water and all in all we had a very nice day. We take the dogs so they can run. Boy, when we get home they are pooped. They will now sleep for the next two days.

Well, that's it for today. Take care of each other and be good. God bless!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Im glad you had fun. I was bummed that we couldnt go.
I think the ban was on opihi selling, not picking... which would make more sense since people have been making a living off of selling the stuff, hence the rarety.
Burida is bummed. His family is in the mourning process; planning the funeral, etc. Its been really hard for his father and his fathers siblings. Papa was living with the aunt and neice so their lives have been altered dramatically. Very sad. It is also sad to hear about MAS's mom. She has been fighting this a really long time. Cancer is awful and my heart really goes out to MAS, her mom and her family