Thursday, October 15, 2009

Tsunami In Hawaii

Aloha: Did you know that the tsunami that hit Samoa also hit Hawaii? I didn't. I just saw pictures on the Hawaii Free Press (www.hawaiifreepress.com) website of the wave on the Kona side of the Big Island. I think that Civil Defence should revisit what they consider an "all clear". We could have had a disaster. There are 3 pictures on the "front" page with a "more photos" link. Go to the "more photos" and there is a picture of a man standing at the top of the boat ramp with the water above his knees. That kind of surge could easily sweep a child away!

I got a call from my wife last night. It seems that in Iliili, where she is, has had a good old Hilo rain for the last 2 days. The volunteers from the mainland could not believe how much water can come down out of the sky. Don't they read the Bible? Of course the locals and the people from Hilo just change slippers (flip flops/shower shoes) for shoes and go about their business. A little water never hurt anyone.

I am in Hilo again today and it is clear and "warm". It was clear when I left Volcano this morning. The volcano report is SOS. I did see a report on, I think, yahoo, about the fumes from the volcano creating havoc with some flower growers. That has been a problem ever since the vent opened on the floor of Halem'uma'u. The SO2 values have been much higher than normal ever since the vent opened, but the higher values are what I call SOS., if that makes sense.

The cargo plane that took my wife down to Samoa was a newer version cargo plane so it took them 5 and a half hours to get there. Others flew on an older version and their trip was 8 hours. The Hilo group will be flying back on a normal passenger plane, but the final dates have not been set yet. The powers that be have been making noise about having people stay for a few more weeks but I do not think there are any takers. People do have to work and earn a living.

I guess that is it for today. Take care and may God bless all of you.

No comments: