Saturday, October 3, 2009

News Flash 4

Aloha: It is now 10a in Hawaii, and 9a in Samoa. My wife left Hickam at about 9:30p last night. The AT&T rep confirmed that there is a "roaming" fee in calls from Samoa to Hawaii and from Hawaii to Samoa so news from my wife will be very limited. The fee is between $2/3 a minute. It seems that AT&T does not service Samoa so all the palms must be greased.

The tale of FEMA requiring a passport/birth certificate to go to American Samoa reminded Nabru of the time he wanted to rent a car to go to New Mexico. The car rental company kept telling him that rental cars could not go across the border even after he showed them a map showing them that New Mexico is a state in the US and not a part of Mexico (for now). That reminded me of when I was in the Navy stationed in Maryland and I bought a car. I registered the car in Hawaii and proudly put the Hawaii plates on the car. Countless people, on seeing the plates, would ask me how long it took to drive across the Pacific. I got tired of telling them that the new bridge cut the time down to 12 hours.

The gods have been crying ever since my wife left the island. The volcano report is basic SOS. The biggest change is, from the HVO website, "The lava pond visible within the summit vent for the past few days disappeared around 2 am as lava retreated to deeper levels in the conduit, with glow diminishing accordingly. Prior to this, the lava pond was experiencing typical filling and draining cycles." I was asleep so did not notice the change.

That's all folks! May the Good Lord bless and keep all of you safe and may He bless all who live in our hearts.

No comments: