Thursday, October 8, 2009

End of Flash

Aloha: I have decided to stop using "Flash X" as a title unless something really important happens. I can hear the cheering from here. Today "here" is in Hilo as Topher had to work as did Anakam, so I lucked out and got to sit my mo'opuna. It has been a very still day in Hilo and hot. It has just started to rain and I am hoping that the rain will cool things off. I will not find out till Topher gets home if I will be needed tomorrow.

My wife called me at 10p Hawaii time last night. She had called at about an hour before any tsunami would have hit Samoa and at that time was waiting for the buses, that had gone into the "field" to pick up workers, to return to pick up the shelter workers. She did not say so but I got the impression that the buses never returned to the shelter. Thank God that the earthquake did not produce a large wave as the shelter is at sea level. I have a felling that I will not get the "straight scoop" till after she returns. Today she, and the other volunteers, are getting language lessons and cultural awareness training. Again, she has not said so, but I get the feeling that the Red Cross is not too well organized in Samoa. Have I made mention that she can get a one hour calling card for only $5? Quite a deal I think.

The weather was clear when I left Volcano at 5:30a this morning. I had to leave early as Anakam had to be at work before 7. The volcano report is again SOS. I did not see any glow when I checked the webcams last night. (Spell check does not like "webcam".)

My former employer has just sold the last supermarket the chain owned to Foodland. I am still "on call", but can not remember the last time I did any work. When I do work I just do paper work. The guy in charge of the meat department at Na'alehu also works in the meat department at the supermarket so I have no idea how that will work out. The news release said that employees can apply for jobs at Foodland. (Foodland, Sack and Save, Emjays, Big Save, all are the same company, the largest food retailer in the state of Hawaii.)

That"s all for now. Take care and may God bless you all.

No comments: