Saturday, October 24, 2009

Final Samoa (if you are lucky)

Aloha: I know it is a little late but.... My wife got in Friday morning at about 8:30a. The Samoans she worked with were really sorry to see her go. There is a great difference between the volunteers from the mainland and the ones from Hawaii. There is a great difference between the volunteers and the paid staff from FEMA. The FEMA boss in the big house and the staff in the hotels. The Americore(?), Catholic Charities, and the Red Cross in the gym, on cots, 70 to the room. When the last hurricane watch we had some FEMA "bosses" came and they have no idea of what is takes to live on an island. When my wife was in Texas for hurricane relief if you needed water, you got on the phone and the next morning a semi would roll up and you had your water. On an island you get your water a week later, if you are lucky, and only if the piers have not been damaged too bad so the ship can be offloaded. With a hurricane some hurry up planning and stockpiling can be done, but a tsunami gives no warning and what are needed are workers, not bosses. Pau vent.

I slept through the 4.8 quake we had the other night. I did not even know about it till I got an email from Kansas Vovo. I really do not mind missing out on that kind of excitement.

That's it for today. I can not wait to give you all the rain report tomorrow. I know you all are just on pins and needles wanting to know. God bless and take care.

No comments: