Wednesday, October 14, 2009

SOS revisited

Aloha: I got a note from a reader today. It is great to know that somebody out there is reading this thing. It seems that the reader had heard on the news, I guess, that the volcano was in fact not SOS. Since I missed yesterday I checked and did not see anything different. This is from the HVO website today: Activity Summary for past 24 hours: Monday's short DI event is nearing completion. Glowing spots were recorded in the summit vent webcam view. Sulfur dioxide emission rates from the Halema`uma`u and east rift zone vents remain elevated. Lava flows are active on the pali; lava is entering the ocean west of Kalapana. For those of you who do not know a DI event is just the lava moving up and down (Inflating and Deflating) in the plumbing of the volcano. Tremor (Harmonic Tremor) is the recorded sound lava makes as it moves through cracks in the rocks (conducts). When the volcano erupts tremor goes way up, sets off the alarm to wake the vulcanologists up so they can "ohh and ahh". The tremor usually starts before the lava breaks out of the ground. Some people say I have verbal diarrhea so if you want more information on what little I know you will have to ask.

The weather today is great. I will be down in Hilo later today as I have to pick up my mo'opuna from school and sit till his parents come home from work.

I could go on but will not. God love you all and take care.

1 comment:

kaiulani said...

I will stop by after work. Aloha.