Sunday, December 20, 2009

Snow in Hawaii

Aloha: I was going to write about the woman in Virginia who killed her newborn, legally, but decided to go with the storm we had that covered our mountains with snow.

The last few days we have had rain in Hilo and lower Puna, we live in upper Puna. My oldest lives in lower Puna and had lightning strikes on her street. The thunder was so bad it knocked things off shelves in her home, and scared the dogs shitless. We could just see flashes of light up here in "God's country". This morning there was news of a cell over Kohala, between Hawi and Kapa'au and I am waiting for news from my Hawi sister as to what goes in her neck of the woods. The cell was to have produced penny size hail. In Hawaii thunder storms usually mean that there will be snow on the mountains and sure enough, I checked the Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea webcams and there is snow on the mountains. (What is the Hawaiian word for snow?) As a kid I do not remember bolt lightening. We had sheet lightening that would light up the sky. It was not until I was 22 and in the Navy that I saw lightning bolts.

With all the rain they had in lower Puna we had only 0.2 inches for the week up here in Volcano. It was cloudy with no rain this morning, but now it has started to rain. It sounds like it will be a steady rain for the rest of the day.

The volcano is doing it thing and all is SOS. Hey, I think I just heard some thunder. No wonder the dog is on the porch "woofing" at me. He thinks I will let him. This is the time to show him that "fat" and "thin" mean the same thing. Like the dog has a "fat chance" of coming in the house. His chances are thin indeed! The adjective "fast" also can be used to mean to go quickly or to not move at all. Isn't English wonderful!!!!

Well, we just lost power for about 20 seconds and there was a clap of thunder. Time to go. God bless and take care.

No comments: