Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Earthquakes

Aloha: I have been asked what has happened to the earthquakes? For those of you who do not know the earthquake website color codes the quakes; red is a quake that is 2 hours or less old; blue two days; and yellow 2 weeks. After 2 weeks the quake is dropped from the map. Today's map has only yellow quakes. This is from the HVO website: The number of RB2S2BL earthquakes is relatively low. No earthquakes were located beneath Kilauea during the past day. I guess that Pele is not very active at this time. I find it odd that for an earthquake to be located on the map it has to be recorded on, I think, 5 graphs. RB2S2BL stand for "recorded but too small to be located" That is why there are no quakes below 1.6, If you check the Yellowstone website you will see quakes as low as 0,1 located on their map. I guess they have lower standards than we have in Hawaii. Same USGS though. Sometimes it will get confusing because on the update HVO will say that an earthquake was located under Kilauea but the map will not show the quake. I think sometimes the HVO staff gets confused about the recorded vs located distinction. I hope I have not stirred up the mud too much. It really is clear to me.

For the volcano report, tephra is down, tremor is down, quakes are down, SO2 is up, no hissing from the vent and no rockfalls heard. The overlook cam records a glow at night. Can I say SOS.

The weather in volcano is rather nice. It was wet when I got up this morning and I thought I would be able to report water in my new rain gauge. There was just a trace. We got nothing from our hurricane and I am guessing that we will not get anything from Guillermo. Yesterday afternoon I heard thunder and thought that Hilo was getting a bit of rain but was wrong. I do not know where the booming was coming from.

It is "Woody Woodpecker" time. God bless and be good to each other.

3 comments:

kaiulani said...

Im showing my age here, but what is "Woody Woodpecker" time???

E. Tutu said...

Auwe!!! Woody Wolpecker would close his cartoons (movies) with the phrase "That's all folks".

kaiulani said...

Oh! I get it now. You are indirectly telling us "Thats all folks!" lol.. full of jokes i tell you.