Sunday, February 28, 2010

Tsunami update

Aloha: I have a couple of item of good news to report. First the one of general interest; the tsunami was only half the size expected so we did not have any real damage here in Hawaii. The second is of a more personal nature as I now have another follower. I have not had a chance to check out her blog yet, by the use of the female personal pronoun, you can guess that I think I know who it is.

First the tsunami: I first got word of the earthquake from the County of Hawaii Civil Defence at about 8:30 pm Friday night. I subscribe to their warning "network" so I get the bulletins e-mailed to me at the same time the radio and other news guys get theirs. An earthquake from the same area in 1960 produced a tsunami of 35 feet so we were very concerned about this one. The quake in 1960 was 9.5 and this one was 8.8. The projected wave was to be 6 feet. I have not seen the official report but I believe it was 3 feet above mean sea level.

I will have to report on my new follower next time because I will need time to check to see if it is indeed the one I think it is.

Topher had to go to Honolulu for the weekend and Anakam, Ka'iu and Sammy went to Kona for a little "girl time". Guess who grandma and grandpa had as a house guest? If you said CJ you were right. I will be taking him down to Hilo this afternoon.

The volcano report is SOS. The rain report is dry, the weather report is sunny, and all is well in the middle of the Pacific. May God bless and keep all of you safe.

No comments: